Sunday, April 1, 2007

How the adoption world has changed

since we adopted Max nearly four years ago. It's a whole new world out there and I hope I'm not constantly comparing the differences between the two processes (and even worse the children). What strikes me right now is the opportunity to connect with other people all around the world doing exactly the same thing. Before, due to the nature of living in a small town and community, our only real mentors were the Mufsons who had adopted two children from Korea. (We even had the same social worker from the same adoption agency.)

But now, several years later, despite living in a relatively rural area, we are able to instantly connect with anyone willing to make a connection and share their story. Thanks to the number of blogs people have documented about their adoption journeys (and I'm just talking Vietnamese adoptions - no doubt there are blogs for every country and every subject thinkable!), Tom and I are able to learn about what lies ahead of us in the next few months. And then there is the Yahoo Vietnam Travel Group which I just signed up for, yet another virtual community of people who are adopting in Vietnam. It's blows my mind and I am grateful for the fellowship. Indeed, we are not alone. Way cool and a little scary. Must go put Max to bed.

No comments: