Saturday, July 14, 2007

It's Saturday Night

Checking in with a brief (yes brief) update. Not much to report today. Tonight was the first night I left the hotel in two days! Our little princess is feeling out of sorts and absolutely does not want to be put down. Sort of like enforced bonding. I just wish I knew what exactly was bugging her so that we could fix it and make it better.

But hey, considering what she's gone through already in her short life, holding her is the least we can do as her new and forever parents. I think she was constipated this morning and just in so much pain. But I don't know. I'm not really a doctor and she can't talk so it's sort of hard to tell. What I do know is we can offer her comfort in this adjustment period. Not only does she have the upper resp. infection and ear problems, she's going through a huge change and I think she's really grieving which is something Max didn't do. She's a sensitive little one, somewhat frail and very vulnerable - sort of like a baby kitten. And she's really growing on all of us. We even have a name for her, almost. I have to confirm with Tom first though before announcing it to the world.

We had hoped to go to Halong Bay for the weekend as we don't have to be anywhere til Tuesday but three out of four on our team are feeling out of sorts. Max has had tummy cramps and diarrhea for two days and I seem to have joined him in the pain. I think Tom was frustrated with the lot of us but ultimately understands that this is mission for baby, not a travel adventure.

I've tried to put a new spin on hotel life as we wait for paperwork to be processed. This two-week (possibly more) time period is a great opportunity for our little family to bond and cocoon without the distractions of everyday life. Also, as an at-home-mom, how can I possibly complain about not having to cook dinner, go grocery shopping, do laundry, make the bed, change sheets and scrub toilets every day? Though the towels have an omnipresent mildew smell, it's going to be a rough re-immersion back into reality. I am grateful for the support we have here and this gentle time to reconfigure the balance of our family.

I have to say being here at the Melia with other families in the same shoes has been wonderful. We've established a little pod with some of the baby's crib sisters and their parents and it's been great to share the journey and fellowship with them. We share at least one meal together a day, if not more, and share heaps of tips on where to find a cheap laundromat, ginger ale and baby formula. We're forever bonded through the tears and sweat of that intensely emotional and hot day when we drove to Thai Nguyen to get our babies. Though it was four days ago, it seems like it's been weeks.

We genuinely care about each other's babies and are rooting for all of them to get healthy and thrive. It's a natural, unforced and unplanned bonding and I'm grateful we are at this hotel where there seems to be a parade of adoptive parents cruising around with their babies strapped on their chest in Baby Bjorns. Some are just arriving, others who have been here for weeks are relieved to finally be going home and then there are those of us who are midway through the process. Our collective presence is a comfort to each other.

See - I can be brief.

2 comments:

The Parish family said...

Hello McCall family! We are happy to hear your bonding is progressing. I am sure it is hard for all parties, hang in there. I hate to do this, but if I could send you my two cents on baby #2...Enjoy life, before heading back to reality! I remeber not wanting to leave the hospital with Spencer, b/c I was getting my meals cooked for me and waited on, which is HUGE! Life has been put on hold here back in good old MD and we are waiting for you to return! Enjoy your bonding time together as your new family! It will be huge down the road! Maybe the illnesses that are running around the family are a sign to stop and embrace what you have? OK, I will now step off my soapbox and tell you some more wonderful news! Kimberly had her baby last night, Friday 7/13 and she had a.......BOY!!! Benedict is his name and that is all I know right now! I will send more when I hear...they will be in Salisbury until Monday or so.
Take care to all, Silfia and Adie love the photos of your little princess! We all send our love and lots of hugs from "Madison"
The Parish Gang

Jeanie and Jim said...

Hi, Tom, Samantha, Max and precious one,
Every single post is a vicarious adventure for us. Thank you for sharing all of this so well - and with us. Please just know how special it is to read each of these postings and to experience the blessing of this adoption.
We hope the stomach thing fades quickly. And hope you get some more travel adventures. :)
Love to you all. But a special and warm hug to my buddy, Max.